Vacationers on South Padre Island find a variety of activities await them. Here are our top 10 favorite things to do while in the South Padre Island area with your family
- Visit the parks. South Padre Island has several parks. Isla Blanca Park is located on the south tip of the island. Visitors here can walk out on the jetties, watch the local surfers or visit the beachfront snack bar. To the north, Andy Bowie Park offers beach access to cars. If you are cautious of tides you can drive your vehicle miles up the coast and see the pristine dunes and raw coastline. There is a small fee per vehicle for both parks.
- Build a sandcastle. South Padre’s sandy beaches provide a perfect building material for kids and grown kids. Anyone with a bucket and a plastic shovel can make a statement, but to learn how to make a real work of art, take a sandcastle lesson. There are several local companies, such as Sandcastle Lessons with Andy Hancock, that will make a beach appointment with your family and teach you this fine art.
- See the Sea Turtles. Our island is home to an excellent Sea Turtle rescue program. Sea Turtles, Inc. is responsible for rescuing and rehabilitating area Sea Turtles. They also protect new turtle nests and release hatchlings to the wild. Guests can visit Sea Turtle, Inc. to learn more about these endangered animals and get up close and personal with the turtles that live at the Sea Turtle Rescue Center.
- Catch a wave. Aspiring surf riders of all ages and skill levels can have a great time in our summer surf. Young riders can enjoy a boogie board for safe fun in light waves, while more energetic riders can learn to ride a big board. Island Native offers surf lessons for groups or individuals. For self starters, you can even rent a board and get out on the waves.
- Just Go Fish! There are all kinds of fishing opportunities on South Padre Island. Surf fishing on the beach is a popular and inexpensive way to enjoy the Gulfs bounty. You can also walk out on the jetties at Isla Blanca park or go out on the fishing piers located in Port Isabel or near the KOA campground. Other guests choose to go out on a group bay or Gulf fishing tour. For the finest fishing experience, fishing guides and charters are available for both bay and gulf fishing.
- Fly a kite. Our sea breezes often provide the perfect wind for kite flying. This is the perfect beach activity for all ages and skill levels. Kites vary from inexpensive to highly customized sport fliers. You can even pick up some truly unique flying artworks to dazzle and amuse. Visit one of SPI’s kite shops for your beach kite and remember why this was such a great activity in your childhood.
- Visit Historic Port Isabel. Right across the bridge is a wealth of history and interesting activities. For a reasonable admittance price you can climb the Port Isabel Lighthouse and catch a great panoramic view of the Texas coast. While there, be sure to visit the Port Isabel Museums. These museums have information and artifacts from several of the shipwrecks, wars and pirating events that occurred in the area.
- Watch the dolphins. A dolphin watch is a great family activity and inexpensive way to get out on the water. The Laguna Madre Bay is home to many pods of dolphins. These dolphin watch or eco-tourism trips almost always catch our local sea life activity and give your family a great vacation story!
- Visit the zoo. Only 25 minutes away, The Brownsville Zoo is nationally recognized. It is especially noted for its primate breeding program and features some of the finest primate exhibits in the country. Additionally, the Brownsville Zoo features an impressive array of tropical plants and landscaping.
- Relax. The best feature of South Padre Island is its laid back attitude. Vacationers young and old can enjoy a little time off for a walk, a nap or a drift in a pool. We hope you remember to take time off from your busy vacation schedule for a giggle and a rest.
If you’re lucky enough to be vacationing on South Padre Island over the Fourth of July you’re going to want to read this posting! There are plenty of local events taking place in celebration of the Independence Day holiday. Come on out and have a great time celebrating with the locals. All of the following events are being held and are open to the public!
4th of July Beach Parade
The public is invited to join in as residents and visitors alike walk a short distance to celebrate our nation’s birthday! Decorate your wagons, your pets, and dress in red, white and blue. Bring flags, musical instruments, drums, and banners! Free mini flags and beads will be given out at race start and watermelon for everyone at the end! Prizes will be awarded for the best Group, Costume and Wagon (or wheeled entry)! Parade line-up at 9:30 a.m. at Fantasy Circle Beach Access #22. The parade starts at 10 a.m.
Bands on the Beach
On Friday, July 3, Stars & Stripes on the Beach will have a live performance by Costello with special guests from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. On Saturday, July 4, Whiskey D. will perform live music from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. Come enjoy the music, great food, and fireworks on the beach. Fireworks begin both nights at 9:15 p.m.
Fireworks on the Beach
7010 Padre Boulevard, South Padre Island
The Hilton Garden Inn will have a fireworks show on the beach on Friday, July 3 and Saturday, July 4 beginning at 9 p.m. The show is best viewable from the Hilton Garden Inn and La Quinta Inn & Suites.
Fireworks Over the Bay
Louie’s Backyard, 2305 Laguna Boulevard, South Padre Island
ZZ Not will be performing on a newly built bayside stage at Louie’s Backyard on July 4th at 11 p.m. General admission tickets are $17.50 and available here. Join enjoy live music, cocktails and the largest fireworks display on the island. Fireworks at 9:15 p.m.
If you’re still not sure where you’re staying give us a call at Padre Getaways (956-761-8888). We can set you up in comfortable accommodations that you’re going to just love! Have a safe and happy Independence Day 2015 from all of us at Padre Getaways!
As a CPA and a finance executive, I was trained to look at net income, cash flow, return on investment (ROI), cap rate and other quantifiable measures when evaluating a potential investment in real estate.This is necessary but not necessarily fun. It is simply number crunching with very little emotion. The necessary and relevant questions are:
- What is the historical rental income?
- What are occupancy rates?
- What is the potential future rental income?
- What are the taxes and insurance, maintenance and HOA fees?
- What is the mortgage payment?
- Can the rental income from the property cover the operating expenses and mortgage payment?
- When the property is sold, how much will it have appreciated?
- How much gain will be realized?
- What are the tax implications?
- Is this a PRACTICAL investment?
Amidst all the number crunching, I looked forward to our annual escape to South Padre Island with our best friends. I always loved to come to the island, and I always hated to leave. Eventually my husband and I decided to purchase a condo and combine the place we enjoyed the most with a practical investment.
We made our “practical investment in fun”. In evaluating an investment from this different point of view, there is a whole new set of questions:
- Do you like the property?
- Can you picture yourself sitting on the balcony watching the Gulf, taking in the sunrise each morning…or watching the sunset over the bay each evening?
- Will you enjoy a walk on the beach within steps of our front door?
- Will you enjoy being able to jump in a car or on a plane without having to even carry on a bag because your owner’s closet has all you need?
- Will you treasure special moments with family and friends when they stay at your “Beach Home”?
- How much will you gain by being able to escape the usual more often to go to a place that you love?
- Is this a FUN investment?
The answers to these questions are always easy.
So, after 30 years in the big city business world, I landed (intentionally) on South Padre Island with a real estate license. Now it is my job to help others make practical investments in fun. The same property can meet both needs. Whichever approach you use to evaluate your investment, there are properties that fit. And I stand ready to help you evaluate your South Padre Island real estate investment from either point of view….or both!
Looking for a practical investment in fun? Call Eleana Jones.
When visiting South Padre Island don’t forget to spend some time in Port Isabel. Located right across the causeway from South Padre Island, this historic coastal community was once the Port and gateway to South Texas. You can still see reminders of the areas historic past in the local museums and the Port Isabel Lighthouse.
The Treasures of the Gulf Museum showcases artifacts and tells the story of the shipwrecks in the area. The Champion Building Museum tells of the rich historical significance of this part of Texas. Best of all, is the Port Isabel Lighthouse. This remains the only lighthouse in Texas that allows visitors to climb to the top. It is also the smallest state park in Texas.
This area is known as Lighthouse Square. It is easy to pass a day around the square shopping at the boutiques, strolling the Faro Mercado, having an ice cream, enjoying local dining and relaxing in the seaside atmosphere.
Port Isabel is also home to the Black Dragon Pirate Ship, which is a great adventure for young and old. Nearby is the fishing pier, Pirates Landing Restaurant, dolphin and fishing cruises.
The Sea Life Center is open for visitors to see local sea life and even pet some in their touch tanks. This non-profit organization provides a great place to learn about the varied species found in our Laguna Madre Bay and Gulf of Mexico.
Other fascinating Port Isabel destinations include their unique cemetery and the intriguing Port Isabel Yacht Club. This restored restaurant and hotel was built during Prohibition and has some wild historic tales to tell!
No South Padre vacation is complete without a visit to this charming seaside town. Plan to spend a day across the bridge too.
With spring well under way and summer fast approaching many people are focused on making their vacation plans and securing this summer’s accommodations. Gone are the days when people drive into town and stop at hotels or motels until they find a place to rent in South Padre Island that had vacancies. Now we can make our reservations from the comfort of our own living room and practically in the blink of an eye. But don’t delay! This is our busiest season and our luxury vacation rentals get booked fast!
You’ll find our rentals to be exclusive South Padre Island condos, townhomes and spacious single family homes. You can trust us to only provide homes that meet the strictest standards for luxury, quality and value. We have a large selection of South Padre Island Beachside Rentals, Bayside Rentals (both interior and waterfront), and properties located beachfront on South Padre Island.
Continue reading Now is the Time to Rent in South Padre Island
With this posting, the first on our new Padre Getaways Blog, we’re announcing the launch of our newly designed web site that is both stunningly beautiful as well as super easy to navigate.
You’re going to really like what you see here. We’ve made it easier than ever to search for the type of property you want with the amenities that matter most to you – and then you can book it online! Instantly!
We’d like to invite you to peruse our new site then come back often to stay in touch with our Padre Getaways Blog and the getaway specials we have on our vacation rentals. We hope to see you soon!